Club Objective: Learn how to play chess, improve skills, and master the game
Activities and Meetings: Students will compete in small groups during sessions 2, 3, or 4 classmates in a group where students can discuss strategies
Benefits: Students will develop analytical skills.
Membership Details: Each student should have its own chess board.
Upcoming Events: Students will receive certificates of completing chess. There would be opportunities to participate in competitions in DC, Maryland, and other states.
Chess is played every day around the world. It brings people of diverse backgrounds and cultures together. Chess helps to focus and is a great educational tool for school. It helps to develop creativity and boost confidence. A problem-solving skill and yes! Chess helps to exercise both sides of the brain. So, here are some major benefits of playing chess. One can play chess at their convenience level. Chess is often seen as a game of intellectual, logical, rational, and reasonable thinking. This game is played worldwide by old and young people. Isn’t it an interesting fact? Coming to its benefits, the perks are unlimited. If you are still thinking about playing or learning chess then it’s high time, because you are still now aware of its fantastic benefits. Chess is a game full of wonders which help you in all aspects of your life.
International Explorers Club
Club Objective: The International Explorers Club aims to foster cross-cultural understanding, celebrate diversity, and promote global awareness among students. Through engaging activities and discussions, we strive to create a community that embraces different cultures, languages, and traditions.
Activities and Meetings:
- Cultural exchange sessions: Sharing traditions, stories, and customs from various countries.
- Language workshops: Learning basic phrases and expressions in different languages.
- Food and cooking events: Exploring international cuisines and preparing traditional dishes.
- Global movie nights: Screening films from around the world and discussing their themes.
- Guest speakers: Inviting individuals with diverse backgrounds to share their experiences.
- Field trips: Opportunities for trips to open cultural events and celebrations in the greater D.C area!
- Develop a broader perspective and open-mindedness.
- Enhance their cultural competency and communication skills.
- Forge meaningful friendships with peers from different backgrounds.
- Gain exposure to new languages, art forms, and worldviews.
- Boost their confidence and leadership abilities through active participation.
Membership is open to all students who have a genuine interest in exploring and appreciating diverse cultures. There are no specific prerequisites or membership dues, but we ask that you please share any food allergies or sensitivities!
- International Night: Showcasing booths representing different countries with cultural displays, food samples, and performances. (Planned for the Friday after Eid!)
- Global Storytelling Contest: Students can share personal stories related to their heritage or cultural experiences, with the top storytellers winning a prize.
Nature Explorers Club
Club Objective: To explore nature and appreciate its beauty and what it has to offer.
Activities and Meetings: All activities will be held outside except when severe weather is present. Rain or shine…change of clothes must be provided in case of wet conditions.
Benefits: Being outside in nature helps improve moods, reduces feelings of stress or anger, helps you feel more relaxed, improves your physical health, helps you be more active, improves your confidence and self-esteem, helps you meet and get to know new people.
Membership Details: All children aged K-5th grade will be accepted into this club. All materials will be provided.
Upcoming Events: September: Plant ID, October: Scavenger Hunt, November: Geocaching; December: Tracking
WIS Patriots Club
Club Objective: This will give the children a chance to understand how to work with others. The value of working with others is an important life lesson. Children learn social skills that can lead to a sense of comradery and friendship that can possibly last a lifetime.
Activities and Meetings: Running team games, holding group discussions, and simply doing things together as a team. The key is that the exercise will help bring the team together in a fun and engaging way.
Benefits: Playing in a team helps children to develop many of the social skills they will need for life. It teaches them to cooperate, to be less selfish, and listen to other children.
Membership Details: Its open to everyone who is interested in sports and is passionate about becoming a sportsman.
Upcoming Events: opportunities to compete with other teams and participate in basketball tournaments.
Little Rahmah Roots Gardening Circle and Art Club
Club Objective: Welcome to the Little Rahmah Roots Gardening Circle and Art Club, where young nature enthusiasts, budding gardeners, and their families come together to explore the wonders of gardening while nurturing a sense of kindness and compassion. Our mission is to create a nurturing space where children can learn, play, and grow as they connect with nature and one another.
Activities and Meetings: Join the Little Rahmah Roots Gardening Circle and Art Club (LRGCAC) and embark on a journey of joyful learning through hands-on activities:
- Tiny Garden Explorations: Discover the magic of seeds, soil, and plants as we create charming mini gardens, learning about growth and care.
- Nature Crafts: Express creativity through garden-themed crafts, making colorful wind chimes, painted pebble markers, and more.
- Blossom Tales: Listen to stories that celebrate nature, kindness, and the beauty of creation, fostering a love for reading and gardens.
- Guided Garden Adventures: Explore our garden together, observing insects, tending to plants, and learning about their roles in our ecosystem.
- Caring for Our Green Friends: Learn the art of watering, weeding, and nurturing plants, watching as our garden flourishes under our care.
Benefits: By becoming a part of the Little Rahmah Roots Gardening Circle and Art Club, children and families will:
- Cultivate Kindness: Embrace the values of compassion and empathy while nurturing plants and connecting with the natural world.
- Garden-to-Table Delights: Enjoy the satisfaction of harvesting fresh produce, herbs, and flowers, and exploring how they can be used in the kitchen.
- Family Bonding: Strengthen family connections through shared experiences in the garden, fostering quality time and memories.
- Grow with Nature: Develop an appreciation for the environment, learn about sustainability, and experience the joy of growth firsthand.
- Friendships and Fun: Connect with other families who share a love for gardening, forming friendships and a sense of community.
Membership Details: Membership of the Little Rahmah Roots Gardening Circle and Art Club is open to all children and families who are eager to explore the world of gardening together. No previous gardening experience is required. We’re pleased to let you know that there isn’t a membership fee. There’s just a startup fee of $50, not including your plants. We invite you to join us in cultivating a garden of kindness and growth.
- Blossom Buddies Planting Party: Kickstart our garden by planting seeds of kindness and tending to our very first plants.
- Nature’s Art Creations: Unleash creativity with nature-inspired crafts that celebrate the beauty of our world.
- Harvest and Share Celebration: Come together to harvest the fruits of our labor and share the joy of our garden’s bounty.
Join the Little Rahmah Roots Gardening Circle and Art Club and embark on a heartwarming journey of growth, friendship, and nurturing, as we tend to our garden and sow the seeds of compassion together.